Hundreds Of Sparrows
‘Why, every hair on your head has been counted. So there is no need to be afraid; you are worth more than hundreds of sparrows.’
Two things are probably obvious:
1) Brother Randy Hickey may be a Brother, and he may be Randy, but he’s not in any sense a man of God.
2) The recent Are You Drinking With Me, Jesus mix he made may not be entirely serious.
Doesn’t mean he doesn’t love music that happens to be Christian in intent, just that he also enjoys the cheesier, more amusing end of the christian country ouevre. Trouble is, in among the Cowboys for Jesus and dusty family bibles in that mix, there are actually some beautiful songs (wrongheaded or not, but that don’t enter into it). So it may have muddied the conceptual waters somewhat…
So this new mix takes a different tack – some is explicitly Christian, some considers Christianity, some is country influenced by gospel, some is simply about death, some just has a holy “vibe”, if you will. There’s even a song about Johnny Morris. Seriously…
1. Willard Grant Conspiracy – The Great Deceiver
2. Laura Viers – To The Country
3. Ollabelle – Before This Time
4. Southern Tenant Folk Union – Here In The Dock
5. Allison Krauss – Down To The River To Pray
6. Lincoln – Johnny Morris
7. Lullaby For The Working Class – The Hypnotist
8. Michael J Sheehy – Crawling Back To Church
9. The Walkabouts – Loom Of The Land
10. The Rosinators – I Saw The Light
11. Freakwater – Out Of This World
12. 16 Horsepower – Black Soul Choir
13. Carolina Chocolate Drops – Starry Crown
14. The Handsome Family – Weightless Again
15. Alabama Three – Peace In The Valley (acoustic)
16. Sparklehorse – Hundreds Of Sparrows
Brother Randy’s next mix is probably going to be some “straight country”. Unless he finishes his Whistling Past The Graveyard mix – of junkyard blues and flopjoint laments – first. Ho hum.